I heard how quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) was a super food so of course I was all about it, until I made some. Reading all the awesome nutritional facts, I gave it a go a few months ago. I wasn’t that impressed. I always try food in its most natural state when I’m cooking it for the first time. This helps me to understand the foods potential. I realized that qunioa is a lot like rice where it absorbs flavors effortlessly. On its own, it’s ok but after visiting my mom a few months ago I was inspired by some of the flavors I grew up with. Tarragon, dill, and parsley are some staples in my mamma’s fridge, and for good reason. These herbs pack a powerful punch of flavor in each little leaf. Now combine them together and it’s a keen-wah kick in your mouth of deliciousness! This recipe feeds two but of course you can double it and feed more. What will you need? Before we begin, let me say that you can add chicken to this dish or not. It’s great either way. If you choose to add chicken then mild lemony/garlic flavors work best but really any chicken will do. If you’re in a pinch you can use a rotisserie chicken or pre-cooked chicken strips/chunks.
1/2 cup (uncooked) quinoa (I used red but any color will do)
1 bell pepper (I used red but any color will do)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 half of a lemon-juiced (about 2-4 table spoons)
1/3 cup feta cheese (about 3-4oz)
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
3 TBS minced fresh dill
4 TBS minced fresh tarragon
This is real simple!
1. Cook quinoa as directed per box
2. While the quinoa is cooking- mince tarragon, dill and parsley
3. Chop bell pepper-then roast or sauté till a bit browned (you can use a table spoon of olive oil for this. )
4. Once quinoa is ready add minced tarragon, dill, parsley, bell pepper, olive oil, lemon juice and feta to the quinoa and fold in.
5. Add chicken (if desired) and serve.