I love shoes. I love comfort, but I don’t love comfortable looking shoes. Just last night my neighbor-friend and I were trying on new heels that just arrived and remarking on how shoes do wonders for mental health. I say this with conviction because shoes are in my blood: my great-grandfather was a master cobbler! I’ve long believed that a good, well-made shoe does not have to be unattractive and in the last decade or so, shoemakers are finally on board with this. Enter David Bromstad for Naturalizer.
Naturalizer has partnered with HGTV interior designer David Bromstad to bring his fresh, colorful design vision to life in a collection of fun and whimsical shoes and accessories for Spring 2014. Much like he does for his clients on HGTV’s Color Splash, David created a painting for Naturalizer with a fresh and emotive twist. He worked closely with Naturalizer designers to use the print on the shoes and accessories that are part of the collection.
I had a chance to view the new Naturalizer +Bromstadcollection which includes not only shoes, but accessories to match, and get some of David’s thoughts about the subject:
- The Naturalizer + Bromstad Collection: “It’s fun, fresh and feels like summer. The floral painting brings together roses from a New England garden and a tropical hibiscus from Florida. It’s north meets south—an unexpected twist.”
- Design/style: “Keep it fun, interesting and always exciting. No matter what, you need an element of happiness. I want my clients to walk in a room I’ve designed and smile. I want that same reaction from the woman that is going to wear these fun shoes.”
- Color: “Color is everything. It makes the world go around. A pop of color can change your mood and the kind of day you are having. The colors used in this collection are bright, happy, fun and whimsical.”
- His personal style: “I keep up with the trends. I like a layered look, ties and vests. My home is clean, comfortable with a neutral base and pops of color. My clients inspire me and this project is no different.”
- The role of accessories: “Whether it’s home or fashion, accessories complete any look. It’s the place to add that pop of color, the fun, the personality, the unexpected. In interior or fashion design, you can start with a neutral base and when you infuse colorful accessories, you take it to the next level.”
- Comfort: “Comfort is critical. You have to live in every space and you have to live in every shoe. This is something that is at the core of what I do and is in the DNA of the Naturalizer brand – that’s why this is such a great partnership.”pictured: The Vida, The Davison, and the Davida (in white and floral.)